Thursday, February 03, 2005

Do Over

Not the best day to remember. Kinda of like Billy Crystal said in City Slicker, “Everyone should have one do over.” Today would be a good day.

It’s time for dinner but Marycke and I have set that aside as we strip beds sheets and head off to the laundry mat. Alex has just finished his 3rd seizure in 3 hours and during that period urinated on our bed. So off comes the sheets, covers, mats, etc and off Marycke goes to the big machines. I guess there will be no yoga for her tonight.

The morning started as normal as could be expected. Alex stumbled out of his room and tried to climb in our bed at 4:15 AM. I made him go to the bathroom first and all seemed well. I moved into his room but then at 5:21 he had his first grand mal (tonic clonic) of the day. Marycke had breakfast and while getting ready for work, he had his second seizure at 6:43. So I move out of my office to lay with Alex as the baby monitor we had has quit working and no one seems to sell the replacement battery.

Never really being able to get back to sleep I wait for Joe (my Dad) to come over to work. Then I get to shower and do all the day to day stuff we all do on trash day. Meanwhile Alex is doing great. No more seizures. I put the Diastat back in the draw for another day.

It’s 9:30, 10:30, noon and we just can’t get the boy to wake up. I let him sleep and go off to do some computer work for a client. While at their office I get paged that Alex has just had his 3rd seizure of the day. It’s 2:43 PM, I right in the middle of re-networking and office and have to pick up Marycke at 3:30. My able bodied assistant, Haley, says she can watch Alex and still answer phones.

Whew, 4 PM and no more seizures. Thank God for small favors. Alex climbs in Grandpa's lap for a little rocking and nap time.


Sleeping with Grandpa Joe Posted by Hello



4:42 and it’s seizurer number 4. I’m working in the office typing up orders for the 5 PM mail. Joe goes in to check on Alex. This time everything gets wet. Marycke will not be pleased. Bummer, the doorbell rings and another customer is dropping of 3 PC’s that need fixing.

Marycke’s back. It’s 5:10 PM. 5:58 seizure number 5. I pull out the Diastat. It’s time for the valium. Marycke wants to wait till they are .30 minute apart or till after we give him his 8 PM medicines.

Forget dinner. Forget yoga. We have to go get the wash done. We need to get Alex showered off. But at 125 lbs with ‘rubber for legs’ this is going to be tricking. Off come my clothes and I hold Alex in the shower as Marycke sprays him down. Now starts the shivering. We hope it does not lead into another seizure. After much effort he is now dressed in new clean jammies and put back in his bed.

We return to stripping the sheets.
Skipping dinner.
Hoping for a do over.

Neal and Marycke

No comments: