Monday, December 04, 2006

A little drowsy

Sorry about the call after lunch, but Alex just seemed a lot drowsier and drooled significantly more than I have ever seen before. I believe it was Mrs. Perkins who had told me that if his drooling becomes significant he may be having a seizure, so I just wanted to double check with you.



As you suggested I worked on finding something to get his interest and he seemed to come around as time went on. Later on in Health class the students and I were discussing and actually demonstrating exercises wheelchair bound individuals, the bedridden and those with other handicaps could perform. We would talk about an exercise and then each of the students would try the exercise. Alex did not seem too interested for the most part except for lifting hand weights (for our demonstration the "weights" were gallon milk jugs filled with water) and especially the leg lifts.

I had failed to ask Alex if he wanted to try the leg lifts, so as I walked by his desk he reached out and grabbed me and indicated his desire to try the lifts. He almost popped out of his chair and up onto the table to demonstrate his leg lifts. I obviously helped him a bit, but he slowly raised and lowered his legs just as had been demonstrated. When was done he raised his head up with the most satisfied smile. That smile was a keeper and literally made my week!

Thanks for allowing me to be Alex' teacher. He is a special young man!

Nancy Sims Meehan, Alex's teacher

No comments: